Dr. Med Karponis Athanasios
Orthopaedic Surgeon, PhD
- Born in Thessaloniki (1958).
- Graduated from the 5th (E’) men’s high school of Thessaloniki (1976).
- Married to Vasiliki Papanikolaou (Dentist), and father of two children.
- Speaks English and French.
- Certified Physiotherapist from TEI of Physiotherapy, Thessaloniki (1979).
- Admitted to Medical School of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (1979).
- Military service as cadet assistant surgeon , and accepted to specialize in orthopaedic surgery for 424 General Army Hospital (1988).
- Participation in Rouling Council of the Orthopaedic Assossiation of Northern Greece (1991-1992).
- Member in the publishing committee of “Orthopaedics” magazine (1991-1993).
- Certified specialist in Orthopaedic Surgery from the University Clinic of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Papanikolaou hospital (1992).
- Representative of Orthopaedic Specialists and participant in the council of the Orthopaedic Assossiation of Northern Greece (1992).
- Received scholarship (IKY) for the Henry Mondor hospital, Paris (1992).
- PhD Thesis (Dissertation) in Univercity of Athens (2015).
- Works privately in his office (Aegeou 47), Kalamaria, Thessaloniki (1992-Present).
- Collaborator orthopaedic surgeron of the Bioclinic (former Galinos Clinic) (1992-1997).
- Employed for IKA as a therapist doctor (1993-2014).
- Scientific collaborator of the orthopaedic clinic of Panagia Hospital (1996).
- Holds office in Euromedica Clinic (Blue Cross), collaborator orthopaedic surgeon with a specialist team of orthopaedic surgeons and neurosurgeons.
- Scientific collaborator of the C’ (3rd) University Orthopaedic Clinic in Papageorgiou hospital (2006-2007).
- Member of the Counsil EEXXOT (2012-2014).
- Representative of ELIOS for northern Greece (2015-Present)
- Active member of OTEMATH, ELIOS, EEMMO, EEXOT, ISMNI, AAOS, Sports Medicine Assossiation of Greece.
- Participant in events of the aforementioned assossiations as a president, speaker and teacher.
- Publications in national and international magazines.
- Translation of the book “Right in the middle”, by P. Davis, for orthopaedic surgeons and physiotherapists.εννήθηκε στην Θεσσαλονίκη (1958).
- General Orthopaedics and Trauma (fractures and soft tissues injuries, tendons and ligaments with internal and external fixation and intramedullary nailing).
- Sports Medicine (ruptures of muscles and tendons ,dislocations and strains).
- Arthroscopic Surgery (meniscal tears, ruptures of anterior and posterior crusiate ligaments and osteochondral lessions).
- Orthopaedics (total knee and hip arthroplasties, corrective osteotomies).
- Spine Surgery ( discektomy, kyphoplasty).
- Entrapment syndromes of peripheral nerves (carpal and ulnar tunnel syndromes).
- Osteoporosis and Osteoporotic fractures (spinal,wrist and hip).
- Orthopaedic Pathology and Metabolic Diseases.